The Phatush Diaries

Friday, November 19, 2004

What it Should Be

After a relationship ends you find yourself in the cleanup phase. Much like how Florida is now trying to dig themselves out of the rubble of this summer's onslought of hurricanes, I'm trying to do the same. Florida found itself getting millions of dollars assistance; but since I've yet to acheive the status of a swing state, I'm not as fortunate. My therapy is not even covered by my health insurance.

In the aftermath I find myself wondering what a "real" relationship should look like. I'm not talking about the couples slobbering all over each other on the 6 train at 2 am, or the Saturday afternoon stroller couples juggling lattes and navigating the aisles of Keyfoods. I'm talking about a deeper connection. The desire to make someone happy and be one another's permanent umberalla in the shit storm of life. The people who drive each other crazy on a day to day basis, but every evening know that they would have their life no other way. Wondering not if they could live each day with the other, but if they could live without that person. My shrink once told me, "To be single is to be lonely and isolated, and to be in a realtionship is to be perpetually annoyed." I guess it's comes down to how you deal with the annoyance. How much shit you are willing to eat while still calling it birthday cake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home